Openly Informatics supplies e-journal aggregator holdings tables to a variety of clients- libraries, library automation companies, subscription agents, aggregators, and publishers.
To support this work, we have developed an XML format that we think can do a pretty good job of representing any internet library holding.
Holdings tables are needed for OpenURL Link-Servers such as:
- Sirsi Resolver
- Ulrich's Resource Linker
Holdings Format should accommodate data from
- Subscription Agents
- Library Catalogs
Holdings Format must support
- Linking Metadata
- Application-specific Metadata
- Serials-specific Metadata
Holdings Format should support
- A-Z list production
- MARC record production
- Extant metadata standards- OpenURL, ONIX, Dublin Core, CrossRef etc.
What IS a Digital Library Holding, Anyway?
Fundamental Characteristics of a Holding _ requirements for Universal Holdings Format
- A Holding is either a container of Holdings or a Holding atom
- format should express containment naturally and flexibly
- A Holding has Metadata attached
- format should attach metadata efficiently
- Holdings are miscible in the digital environment
- Holdings and metadata must be easily detachable from a document
- Metadata values are either primitive or complex
- if complex they can be assigned identity
- format should enforce identity assignment to complex values
- Metadata Formats are always incomplete.
- format should allow attachment of arbitrary metadata
UHF Core design
XML Schema is here
- XML Schema for extensibility
- metadata always an attribute
- header, collection, holding, objects elements
- bunchof element for attribute inheritance
- repetition element for list metadata
- only 4 native attributes: URL, Note, ID, Ref
- RDF compatible
XML Schema is here
- assorted Linking metadata, all in attributes
- ProviderID, DbID, Title, ISSN, Format etc.
- Content, ContentStart, ContentEnd attributes
- UHF XML format successfully used
- Made 1200+ tables from 93 providers!
- Java parser written
- Used in 1Cate OpenURL link-server
- Tables produced monthly
- Schema documents available at http://nj.oclc.org/uhf/
- Sample file for Directory of Open-Access Journals: DOAJ.xml
6565 Kilgour Place
Dublin OH USA 43017-3395
tel: 1-614-764-6000 USA 1-800-848-5878